Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Welcome to my 2011 Antarctic blog!

I have chosen the name "In the Land of the Midnight Sun" for my blog this year as this simple phrase reflects one of my favorite times of the day when below the Antarctic Circle.  The Antarctic Circle (66 degrees 33' South latitude) is often referred to as the "Land of the Midnight Sun" during the austral summer as visitors to this remote region enter a world of near continuous daylight.  At sunset, the sun simply dips below the horizon before rising again within hours.  On mid-summer night, December 21, this area experiences 24 hours of continuous daylight.  Sunset in the Antarctic has a wonderfully calming effect, especially after a long day of field work; all is quiet and it is simply beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post any questions and I will do my best to answer when I have internet access!